We are ordinary people who have suffered an extraordinary loss. We want to save lives and we know we can with your help.
Colin died in a car accident on January 20th, 2006. That night before he left, the last song he downloaded was “How to Save a Life” by The Fray. We didn’t know this until his friend came home from college for the funeral and asked to look at his computer. They had talked about the song the night Colin had died.
After his death, we started hearing stories from his friends about how he quietly performed small acts of courage which saved their lives, the lives of friends, and the lives of their siblings. He never sought recognition. He never did these things to be popular. He did hard things because they were right, not because he wanted to be a hero. We want to follow Colin’s example. The lives we can save are our children’s, our friend’s, and our own.
Our campaign is a “work in progress” and is evolving. We did not want to wait another day, hour, or moment before we begin this journey. We have already lost too many lives.
Here’s what we want to do:
- Raise awareness in the community that there is an epidemic of bad choices being made by our loved ones which is killing them.
- Identify the “cure” for this epidemic as being moral courage.
- Give support to those who want to save lives by providing resources in the community.
- Change the culture to reward these quiet acts of courage which save lives.
- Save one life at a time, starting with our own.
Colin P. Fahrenkamp
Save A Life Campaign